There is no doubt that for most people paradise equals a tropical island. Finolhu takes you there. To a tropical island, but even more to paradise. Nestled in Baa Atoll’s UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, Seaside Finolhu is one of the Maldives’ barefoot chic resorts, where luxury is combined with close-to-nature-experiences, top gastronomy, and above all a vibrant tropical atmosphere.
Finolhu opened its doors in June 2016. In 2019, it was taken over by the German brand Seaside Collection, becoming the first resort in the Maldives under German management. European touches were inserted into the design, atmosphere and experiences, resulting in a unique, playful & colourful resort. It has that bohemian, timeless atmosphere you can also find in Europe’s top destinations like Ibiza, the French Riviera or Santorini.
“Finolhu” actually means sandbank in the local Dhivehi language. It’s easy to understand why this name was chosen for the resort, as it features more than two kilometres of spectacular white sand beaches spread across four islands. Finolhu is located about a 30 minute seaplane flight from Male International Airport. The scenic flight is an amazing way to kick-off your Finolhu experience. From the air, the island’s sandy shores create a ring around the lagoon within. These are bordered by crystal blue water and form a view that is simply mesmerising. The resort calls itself “A Kaleidoscope of Dreams” and that is something we can relate to.
Rooms & Suites
Seaside Finolhu features 125 stylish villas, located either on the island’s wonderful beachfront or directly over the azure ocean waters. More than half of them feature a private pool, and the ocean villas also offer direct access to the ocean lagoon. For those that prefer to stay on dry land, the beach villas offers plenty of space divided over one or two bedrooms. There are villas available with or without pool. All of them feature lush gardens and an outdoor patio. For those that adore the ocean, the lagune or ocean pool villas are the best choice.
They offer an expansive sun deck and direct access to the lagoon or ocean. This type is also available in one or two bedroom options, and with private pool (ocean pool villas) or without private pool (lagoon villas). The 125 villas are divided over the following villa types:
- 41 Lagoon Villas (145 m²), offering direct access to the lagoon.
- 8 Beach Villas (205 m²), with direct access to a private stretch of sand.
- 16 Private Pool Villas (205 m²), which face the ocean and feature a private pool.
- 41 Ocean Pool Villas (180 m²), which offer the not-to-be-missed Maldivian ocean experience, including a private pool and direct ocean access.
- 8 Beach Pool Villas (205 m²), with direct beach access as well as a private pool.
- 7 Two bedroom Water Villas with Pool (460 m²): a great choice for water-loving families.
- 2 Two bedroom Beach Villas with Pool (530 m²): a great choice for beach-loving families.
- 2 Rockstar Two bedroom Ocean Villas with Pool (460 m²): the resort’s flagship two bedroom Rockstar Villa’ offers luxurious living space, breath-taking ocean views and is the ideal getaway for larger groups.
- 1 Beach Bubble (90 m²). Seaside Finolhu is the first resort in the Maldives to introduce this amazing experience: a transparent bubble, located on a private island that is entirely yours, offering all the comforts of a hotel suite. The experience includes a romantic beach BBQ, a night in the private bubble under the Maldivian stars, and a breakfast at the water’s edge. We truly cannot think of a more romantic experience. Just wow!
The interior of all the villas is bright, relaxing and completes the playful atmosphere of the resort. While it is sleek and minimalistic, it is also warm and colourful. The main colours inside the rooms are azure blue and light brown, offering an extension of the natural colours of the ocean and the beach. All of the villas are luxurious, providing all modern amenities and lots of indoor and outdoor space.
Inge moore from london’s ‘studio muza’ has redesigned Finolhu in 2020. She was inspired by the many shades of blue, the colours of the sunset, and the play of light when it hits the water and is fragmented as if through a lens. The idea of a kaleidoscope was born, and this idea was the concept of the new design of Finolhu. It resulted in a vibrant mix of colours, playful patterns, and unique creations from world renowned artisans. Seaside Finolhu is proud to be the first and only member of Design Hotels™ in the Maldives.
The interior design of all villas is light and contemporary, combining natural materials with earthy colours. The white, blue, brown and green colours harmonise with the colours of the surrounding nature. While these surroundings are rich and lush, the interior, with its straight lines and smart appointed decorations, gives balance and eases the mind. Each villa features a king size bed, air-conditioning & ceiling fan, safe, sitting area, wooden floor, wardrobes, vanity, workspace with charging stations, a private sundeck with sunbeds and lounge/dining area. Villa amenities include a wine fridge, minibar, espresso machine, tea and coffee facilities, Bluetooth sound bar, a 48-inch flat screen IPTV, and more. The bathroom is spacious and luxurious, offering a double sink and a rain shower.
It is hard to leave your private slice of villa paradise at Finolhu. But you should! The tropical island offers plenty of possibilities to relax, sport, play and have fun.
- For relaxation, there is the Fehi Spa, which embraces the concepts of nature, purity, healing, and harmony. A wide selection of holistic treatments are carried out by highly skilled therapists to make guests feel physically, mentally and spiritually rejuvenated.
- For sports lovers, there is a fitness centre, tennis court and indoor golf studio. Of course, many sports activities on land and on water are on offer as well. The resort features a beautiful pool with a remarkable bar in the shape of a gigantic mushroom, which is a great spot to socialise with the other guests.
- A special mention goes out to snorkelling and diving. In the Maldives, only a few of the resorts are located in the UNESCO protected Baa Atoll biosphere. This unique area, just a few minutes away by speedboat from Finolhu, offers a sheer diversity and abundance of underwater life, some of which is found nowhere else on the planet.
- The Finolhu entertainment program includes activities like cosy movie nights, dance and music performances, and themed parties in a unique island atmosphere. The entertainers are highly skilled and the shows we witnessed were some of the most professional we have seen at a resort.
- At Finolhu, the younger adventurers are simply referred to as “Oceaneers”. At the Oceaneer’s Kids Club, they have the possibility to engage in exciting cooking, baking, playing and sports activities.
Finolhu is a foodie dream. The resort offers no less than four seaside restaurants and focuses on around-the-world cuisines. Executive Chef Memo V. Hernandez manages the kitchens of Finolhu and translates his international experience into a diverse and delicious dining experience. Memo does a terrific job offering a fun, fine and filling cuisine with flavours from Asia, America, Europe and Africa. There truly is something for everybody’s taste:
- Beach Kitchen is the main restaurant of the resort located next to the swimming pool. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served here with stunning views on the ocean. For lunch and dinner, guests have the choice between themed nights with several food stations that offer, for example, Italian, Asian and Maldivian cuisine.
- Kanusan is Finolhu’s award winning fine dining restaurant. Japanese dishes are served with a modern twist in a wonderful oriental ambience.
- Arabian Grill serves the best grill dishes coming from Middle East and North Africa. It offers an authentic, aromatic experience with views on the lush green surroundings and the ocean.
- Crab Shack is our favourite dining experience at Finolhu. The romantic wooden structure is located a 20 minute walk across the sandbar from the main island, making it an isolated destination in itself. It is a place to feast on the best seafood and feel-good comfort food, with the feet in the sand and the ocean just in front. There is a DJ-booth located inside a colourful van as well, and parties are thrown every week after the delicious Crab Shack barbecue dinners. The very best of Maldivian island life.
- ‘Milk LAB’ offers great pastry as well as light food and snacks, and ‘Beach Club’ offers snacks as well as a splendid exotic cocktail selection.
Besides B&B, half-board and full-board options, there are two all-inclusive offers as well. The normal all-inclusive option offers the chance to dine around and enjoy a great drink selection. The all-inclusive premium also includes the in-room minibar, a special wine selection (including free-flow Taittinger Champagne) and several promotions on high-end beverages and activities.
Finolhu simply is a magical place. It is a playground for young and old, which nobody wants to leave. The idyllic backdrop of the Indian ocean is emphasised by the contemporary, timeless and warm design and atmosphere. Each and every of the beach and ocean villas is a slice of paradise on its own, and the surrounding nature is treated with the respect it deserves. The great activities and wonderful F&B offer complete the experience. A place to create memories that can and will not be forgotten.