Amilla Maldives is an outstanding resort located on a private island in the Baa Atoll of the Maldives. The resort combines huge pool villas with an extensive, remarkable food & beverage offer, a lush and tropical environment, a comprehensive sustainability approach, and a surprising, intelligent and wide activity offer. The resort claims to be “an island of surprises”, and that’s what it is, really. A tropical space to play, with luxury and indulgence at its core.
Location & Resort
Amilla resort opened its island “doors” in 2014, as an independent 5-star luxury resort owned by Maldivians. The same owners also manage Finolhu, a wonderful and “playful” resort which we visited some years ago. Amilla is located on a tropical island in the UNESCO recognised Baa Atoll biosphere.
This island group is located about a 35 minute seaplane transfer from Malé and is known for its stunning natural biodiversity. Hanifaru Bay, a site famous for snorkelling with manta rays and whale sharks, is only 10 minutes away, but the island’s waters are often frequented by sharks and manta rays, too.
The island which houses Amilla is quite large, but still easily walkable and with a well-arranged, clear layout. It measures about 1.5 km in length and 800m width, and Amilla features far fewer villas than many other resorts located on smaller island’s. Only 67 villas and residences are dotted around the island and on the island’s coastline, resulting in a peaceful, privacy-driven island experience.
Amilla Fushi Island is one of the most beautiful islands in the Maldives. More than 70% of the island was kept in its original shape – a naturally lush paradise – interwoven with tropical walking/biking trails and white sand beaches, all practically unspoiled by construction. It’s a true naturally lush private island paradise, where 2500 coconut trees are frames by lush foliage, gardens and flowers, bringing tropical scents everywhere you go. Watervillas are located on the West end side of the island,
Rooms & Suites
Amilla Island is home to 67 Villas and Residences within eight categories:
- Reef Water Pool Villas feature 1 bedroom and offer 220 sqm of luxurious space. They have an outdoor pool of 4.7 x 4.2 meters.
- Sunset Water Pool Villas have 1 bedroom and 220sqm of space. They feature a 7.2 x 2 meters pool, offering amazing views on the sunset.
- Lagoon Water Pool Villa are located on the lagoon, have 1 bedroom (220 sqm) or 2 bedrooms (350sqm) and a 4.7 x 4.2 meters pool.
- Beach Pool Villas feature no less than 470 sqm2 of space for the 1 bedroom villa and 530sqm2 for the 2 bedroom villa, and a 10.3 x 2.9 meters pool.
- Treetop Pool Villas are unique villas positioned between the treetops. These villas are perched on stilts, 14 metres up in the air, and have 1 or 2 bedrooms. They measure 250sqm, and have 7.5 x 2.9 meters pool.
- Beach Residences have 4 bedrooms and 920sqm of space, and 11 x 5 meters pool.
- The Amilla Estate measures an incredible 2,550sqm, has 6 bedrooms, and a 20 x 8 meter pool.
- Finally, the Great Beach Residence offers 8 bedrooms, 2,400sqm of space, two pools of 11 x 5 meters, and houses a maximum of 20 guests.
We stayed in one of the Reef Water Pool Villas and enjoyed the warm, cosy and playful design. Wooden floors are combined with smart interior elements and different shades of blue – coming from both the interior and the ocean in front. The villa has an open floor plan, with the bedroom and bathroom merged in the same area.
The Reef Water Pool Villas are suspended right over the ocean and offer direct ocean reef access. They feature a lounge area with sofa and bar area, a large bedroom facing the ocean, and a spacious terrace with daybeds, a dining area, a lounge area, an outdoor shower and, of course, a private infinity pool.
The huge bathrooms have coloured tiles, grey walls in the rain shower, a big standalone bathtub, and are equipped with all the necessary luxury.
Bicycles are provided to cruise around the island, and snorkelling equipment is included for each villa as well.
Dining at Amilla Maldives Resort is something else. No less than 7 restaurants and 3 bars offer options for dining and drinking around clock, and several “dine by Design” private dining experiences are available as well. The resort’s meal plans include the option to “Dine Around” in all the different restaurants, and the DAI (Dine Around Inclusive) plan includes a stunning variety of all-included beverages at the restaurants, the bars and in your villa. Dozens of cocktails, mocktails, kombuchas, a full and daily refilled minibar, and more than 50 wine labels – even champagne, are included. Definitely one of the best all-inclusive plans we’ve ever seen – it comes highly recommended.
- The day starts fresh at “Fresh”, with poolside breakfasts which include huge buffet as well as a variety of à la carte dishes. Many healthy options like tropical fruit, wellness bowls and homemade yogurt are available.
- Chill’d Café is a great lunch spot, offering a cuisine to nourish body and soul. Salads, sandwiches, grills, curries or the Amilla ethical burger. Washed down with juices, wellness smoothies and probiotic sodas. Complimentary homemade ice-cream and sorbets all day, every day.
- Emperor Beach Club is the resort’s laid-back beachside dining and drinking spot. Taco’s, pizza’s, bao buns and delicious salads, but also weekly theme nights including Maldivian cuisine. Make sure to try the delicious Sri Lankan Chilli Mud Crab with Coconut, pandan leaf and pita bread.
- Joe’s Pizza offers some of the best pizza’s in the Maldives. Make sure to sample the Lobster Pizza with lobster, chili and garlic oil, and the Meat Lovers Pizza. The crispy delights are served overlooking the pool and beach.
- Premium Japanese cuisine is offered at Feeling Koi, a wonderful dining spot where tables are set on the over-water deck. An impressive array of fresh sushi and sashimi can be samples here, as well as a delicious selection of Japanese mains. The quality of both the food and the sake collection is impressive.
- Barolo is the place to go for nourishing Italian fare. From succulent grills to homemade pasta: this is a slice of Italy in the Maldives.
- The flavours of South India are served at East. Tandoor specialties, curries and traditional desserts, but also creative cocktails and a selection of kombuchas.
- At Sunset Bar, days blend into nights accompanied by chilled champagne, live entertainment and a wide selection of gin, served with Homemade Amilla tonic.
- For more drinking, Baa Bar offers some amazing crafted cocktails, fine wine and chilled beer right on a sandy stretch of beach. Spirits infused with ingredients from the island, topped by beats played by the resort’s DJ.
- Wine lovers will definitely want to spend some time at The Cellar Door, where hundreds of labels from the Old and New Wine World can be discovered in an atmospheric setting.
What makes dining at Amilla truly unique, is their sustainability approach. All yoghurts, jams, pickles and many sauces are made on the island, as well as many probiotic sodas, homemade tonic water and all plant-based milks. The island offers vast edible gardens which produce a variety of herbs, vegetables, mushrooms and fruit. Amilla also boasts its own chicken and duck farm, Cluckingham Palace, where guests can collect their eggs for breakfast daily.
But their commitment to the environment extends beyond the shores of paradise. The team works with supply partners to source produce from farmers who also care for the planet. The resort’s “Ethical Meat program” saw all supplier reviewed to ensure that animal products are antibiotic free, hormone free and raised on the natural food sources.
Whatever style of holiday you prefer, Amilla will impress with its wide range of activaties and experiences. From water sports to land-based games; from wellness to local cultural experiences: there’s really something for everybody.
- Sustainability is a big thing at Amilla – rightly so. The UN (UNdo the Harm in the World) Amilla’s waste management centre ensures that all waste items produced by the resort are sorted for recycling, composting or disposal. The facility boats a composting machine that turns kitchen waste (that isn’t eaten by the farm animals) into usable compost. The “Vote For The Planet” site includes the Amilla water bottling plant, Banana plantation, mushroom hut, aquaponics, Organic gardens and a Mystique Garden, and the Cluckingham Palace farm. Visiting these facilities is a great way to “hands-on” with the care for our planet.
- Experiences at Amilla include:
- Amilla Glamping: Amilla boasts a unique ‘Amilla Glamping’ experience in a private transparent bubble on a private secluded beach. The air-conditioned bubble tent is tailored with options that include private dining, spa treatments and open air cinema.
- Kids are more than welcome at Amilla and will have the time of their life at the wonderful Sultan’s Village Kids’ Club (4-12 years)
- For sport lovers, there are 2 Floodlit Tennis courts, a Football field, an indoor fitness center, and an outdoor ‘jungle’ fitness center
- Outdoor Secret Cinema
- Unique Excursions to neighbouring islands, blue hole snorkelling, reef hopping, night snorkelling, sunset and dolphin cruises, and much more.
- Water-sports centre & International Dive centre (H.U.B) by Dive Butler International
- Javvu Spa is Amilla’s wellness center. It boasts 8 treatment pods, a Movement Pavilion, an Indoor gym, and Outdoor Jungle Gymnasium, a Meditation Corner, Light Therapy, an Alchemy Bar, a Sauna and Steam room, and a Beauty Lounge.
- Every week, there’s an extensive events and activity program as well, with activities such Artistic performances, Juggling classes, Musical acts, DJ classes, Family quizzes, Ukelele classes, and much, much more.
- Amilla is home to one of the Maldives’ most beautiful and biggest pools, which even features its own mini island.
The pool is surrounded by a fantastic white sand beach and beautiful, gently swaying palm trees.
Amilla Maldives is the ideal choice for those seeking a tropical holiday filled with memorable experiences on land and sea. The range of activities is impressive, and the food and beverage offer is exceptionally diverse and of very high quality. Add to that the exceptional approach to sustainability and the far-reaching respect for the environment, and you know you’ve come to the right place.
FLY DIFFERENT WITH TURKISH AIRLINES
Turkish Airlines is taking Turkish hospitality to higher levels – literally. With their business class offer, the airline ensures that the journey is part of your holiday. What to expect? A highly pleasurable experience, with spacious, comfortable seating (full-flat beds on long-haul flights), outstanding and award-winning food (don’t miss the Turkish meatballs!), a great in-flight entertainment system, and great service with the typical Turkish flair.
The airline has greatly increased its offer and flies to more than 272 destinations today. Most of the flights include a stopover at the beautiful Istanbul airport, and for longer stopovers there’s even a special program for a city visit with free hotel stays. Fly different, fly Turkish!
Discover more about our Turkish Airways Business Class Experience
Baa Atoll, Maldives
Po Box 2123
Republic of Maldives