JOALI BEING is a truly exceptional property located on Bodufushi Island in the Maldives. Created as the first wellbeing island retreat in the Maldives, JOALI BEING puts wellness and wellbeing at the core of the guest experience. Some of the world’s best and most innovative wellness facilities and unique transformational spaces can be found here, inviting guests on a journey to transcendence, self-discovery, and renewal. But JOALI BEING offers much more. Some of the world’s finest and most luxurious island villas immerse visitors in a captivating dream world. JOALI BEING’s Cuisine – called Culinary Art on the island – offers food and beverage that’s not only exceptionally delicious – it’s sustainable, traceable and honest as well. One of the most impressive resorts in the world, plain and simple.
Location & Resort
JOALI BEING is located on the secluded island of Bodufushi in the Raa Atoll island group in the Maldives. This island group can be found in the Northern part of the country and can be reached with a 45 minutes flight from Malé international airport. The transfer can be done by the Maldivian seaplane company or with JOALI’s private seaplane. As one of the only resorts in the Maldives with a private seaplane, makes sure to check before your trip if the JOALI seaplane is available. This private plane offers more space and luxurious, spacious leather seats – perfect to unwind and take in the stunning views on the way to the island.
The JOALI group manages a second hotel within the Raa Atoll island group, JOALI, which we visited a few years ago. JOALI is a stunning, sophisticated island retreat with villas that are the pinnacle of luxurious, sustainable glamour. It’s definitely one of the best resorts in the world and we invite you to discover everything about this amazing property in this article.
In 2022, the Turkish hotel group opened their second property in the Maldives, JOALI BEING. Located about 20 minutes by boat from JOALI, JOALI BEING occupies the beautiful, secluded and natural island of Bodufushi. As sustainability and respect for nature is very important for JOALI, the island’s wild and natural forest was kept intact.
The resort has been built following the principles of “biophilic design”. This scientific system of architecture and design consciously integrates nature, with the aim of achieving harmony by eliminating negative vibrations and improving the island’s energetic, natural flow. Brilliant blue waters cover natural coral reefs and surround the island’s tropical white-sand beaches. Gently swaying coconut palms create a natural border for the lush and green vegetation. It’s a slice of true paradise on earth.
The architectural & design process for the retreat was guided by JOALI BEING’s own architect and interior design studio, Autoban. Both were also responsible for the design at the “original” JOALI on Muravandhoo Island, and we believe they are responsible for some of the world’s most beautiful and unique hotel design. Not only are the villas stunning pieces of architecture and design, the resort’s communal spaces and facilities are truly remarkable, too. Their unique design starts at arrival, at the “Gate of Zero” jetty.
Here, guests are invited to let go, to release the burden of ego, so that they may discover “the Joy of Weightlessness”. The stunning jetty looks like an otherworldly, morphing structure that’s constantly evolving. It reminds us of waves crashing on white sand, or a white dove ready for take-off in paradise. The other communal areas combine lots of natural, extremely qualitative materials with bright and soothing “sunset” colours, and a remarkable spacious feeling. In all villas and other spaces, mainly round shapes and soft, feminine colours were used to enhance relaxation of the mind. Design and decorations are some of the warmest, most welcoming we’ve ever seen at a resort.
Villas & Residences
JOALI BEING’s accommodations are called “Well Living Spaces”. These private villas and residences are truly exceptional. Extremely luxurious yet not pretentious, the huge villas offer a design which brings sustainable glamour and natural beauty together. There are only 68 villas and residences at JOALI BEING. They are divided into 13 categories:
- Ocean Pool Villa (10), with an interior area of 87 sqm (Max Occupancy: 2 adults)
- Sunset Ocean Pool Villa (4), with an interior area of 87 sqm (Max Occupancy: 2 adults)
- Grand Ocean Pool Villa (10), with an interior area of 95 sqm (Max Occupancy: 3 adults)
- Sunset Grand Ocean Pool Villa (8), with an interior areaof 95 sqm (Max Occupancy: 3 adults)
- Beach Pool Villa (10), with an interior area of 95 sqm (Max Occupancy: 2 adults)
- Grand Beach Pool Villa (13), with an interior area of 110 sqm (Max Occupancy: 3 adults)
- Two Bedroom Ocean Pool Villa (1) with an interior area of 150 sqm (Max Occupancy: 4 adults)
- Two Bedroom Beach Pool Villa (7), with an interior area of 155 sqm (Max Occupancy: 5 adults)
- Grand Two-Bedroom Ocean Pool Villa (1), with an interior area of 175 sqm (Max Occupancy: 5 adults)
- Two-Bedroom Wellbeing Beach Pool Villa (1), with an interior area of 255 sqm (Max Occupancy: 5 adults)
- Two Bedroom Wellbeing Beach Residence (1), with an interior area of 275 sqm (Max Occupancy: 5 adults)
- Three Bedroom Wellbeing Beach Residence, with an interior area of 345 sqm (Max Occupancy: 7 adults)
- Four Bedroom Private Wellbeing Ocean Residence, with an interior area of 503 sqm (Max Occupancy: 10 Adults)
The JOALI BEING Villas and Residences are some of the most beautiful holiday accommodations in the world. Built according to “biophilic design” principles, the villas incorporate the natural environment through the use of natural elements in a direct and indirect manner. Lots of wood and solid natural materials such as marble and natural stone set a timeless, warm and zen atmosphere.
The unique, feminine colour combination brings together beige, purple, pink, grey, brown, blue, gold and a mesmerising light tint of green. The latter is used in impressive, floor-to-ceiling metal structures that separate the bedroom and bathroom.
We stayed in one of the Ocean Pool Villas and were heavily impressed by the beautiful design and architecture. The very high ceilings, built in a kind of chapel shape, give an exceptional sense of space. Only the very best luxury materials were used, and the combination of designer furniture and cleverly placed, unobtrusive artwork results in one of the most stunning hotel designs in the world.
Each of the “well living spaces” come with breath-taking views on the ocean and/or the surrounding nature, big private pools, and remarkable features such as customised mini-bar setups, meditative musical instruments and wellbeing games. All electronics and villa features – like the curtains – are state-of-the-art and can be controlled with the in-villa iPad. Bathrooms are equally stunning, feature indoor as well as outdoor areas and amazing views, too. Welcome amenities include Sparkling Tea (alcohol is allowed but not encouraged at JOALI BEING), fruit and wellbeing snacks.
With the unique design, the JOALI BEING team wants to “evoke harmony and balance, by eliminating negative vibrations and enhancing the energy flow of the landscape”. And indeed, each villa creates a kind of cocoon where time comes to a standstill, and where enjoyment in the purest form of the word comes first. The island truly has its own pace, and many of the guests find themselves slowing down here, and reflect on the true essence of wellbeing.
Designed as a nature immersive wellbeing retreat, JOALI BEING is all about wellness. Or how the resort likes to call it, “weightlessness” – a sense of freedom, joy and lightness.
The resort offers personalised “transformative programmes”, with the aim for guests to return home feeling renewed, uplifted and inspired, with a new sense of ‘weightlessness’. An array of wellbeing facilities and transformational spaces offer the guests the possibility to experience what must be one of the most impressive wellness offers in the world:
- AREKA is the resort’s main wellness area, including a spa complex for women and a separate one for man, as well as 39 treatment rooms spread over the island. All of them feature a stunning design and some boast beautiful ocean views from the floor-to-ceiling windows and the glass floor. There’s also an over-water meditation deck and an ocean sala for immersive experiences and therapies. We tried the Signature Four Pillars massage and it was one of the most relaxing yet most intense massages we’ve ever had.
- Core is the movement & fitness space, which includes diagnostic rooms, private training rooms, multipurpose studio, fitness room, and an ocean sala. Core also houses a Cryo-room.
- Kaashi is the hydrotherapy hall where guests can experience the cleansing powers of a Russian Banya, an Aufguss Sauna, a Sensory Deprivation Room, a Salt Inhalation Room, and gender-specific hydro facilities. We tried one of the Watsu treatments, a relaxing water therapy which combines massage, gentle stretching, body movements and pressure points. A therapist carries out the treatment in the hot water bath of the hydrotherapy hall. A unique experience.
- At Seda, the sound therapy hall, guests can restore their inner balance through the healing harmony of music and vibration, in a mesmerising space created by sound healing visionary and JOALI BEING collaborator Aurelio C. Hammer.
- The Discovery Sound Path is a secluded palm-fringed trail to a sound therapy oasis, resonating with the natural rhythms of the island (also created with Aurelio C. Hammer).
- AKTAR is JOALI BEING’s herbology centre, inspired by the rich heritage of healing through the power of herbs. A curated library and a calendar of interactive workshops offers guests the possibility to discover the benefits of herbal teas and learn to make natural body creams, face masks and massage oils. The AKTAR shop offers a handpicked selection of dried herbs, oils and natural cosmetics for purchase.
- The wellness experiences are built around four pillars: Mind, Skin, Microbiome and Energy. The signature Immersion Programmes combine modern science and ancient traditions and offer five nights to three weeks programs which bring together selected treatments, therapies and experiences that reinforce each pillar.
Besides the impressive wellness offer, JOALI BEING offers a wide array of marine & land activities, such as yacht trips, dhoni excursions and meet local Maldivian communities, and sports & games on the island.
There’s also a well-stocked library and a learning centre where educational workshops and experiential classes take place. Service is truly exceptional and nothing is too much to ask for the attentive, super professional staff. The resort’s main swimming pool is one of the most beautiful we’ve seen in the Maldives and actually consists out of 5 separate, connected pools.
JOALI BEING takes sustainability very serious. The island is host to one of the Maldives’ 3 turtle conservation sanctuaries, as well as a reef restoration project and coral nursery. The sustainability infrastructure includes a desalinated water bottling plant, a rainwater harvesting and grey water recycling system, a glass crusher and recycler, a 1750 food waste composter, a vegetable waste crusher for fertiliser and a biological wastewater treatment plant for safe disposal.
The dining offer at JOALI BEING is defined as “culinary arts”. The different Food & Beverage outlets focus on Earth-to-Table menus, with a clear ingredient traceability and fresh, locally harvested and sustainably sourced foods that support small farms. The retreat’s nutritionists shaped the food & beverage offer, including healthy yet more indulgent dining options. The menu mentions the calorie intake and dietary information for all dishes, and the use of alcoholic (sugar-free and natural) is allowed but not encouraged. Six different outlets offer a wide array of F&B choices:
- FLOW is the retreat’s large, dynamic dining space which actually includes three restaurants: Plantae, which focusses on vegetarian and vegan cuisine, Su, which offers the best seafood, and B’Well, which features the signature JOALI BEING menu.
- Mojo is the island’s tropical beach eatery and bar, and is located on a sundeck by the pool. An international menu is available at this ideal pool & ocean-side dining spot.
- SAI, located inside Mojo, focusses on the wellbeing benefits of tea and offers an incredible range of over 60 teas. The space hosts tea ceremonies and educational tea sessions by the resident tea sommelier as well.
- Destination Dining: unique dining experiences can be booked too, from a private sandbank and nature immersive jungle space to an inviting Turtle Treehouse.
JOALI BEING is a sublime place. Not only is it one of the most stunning, luxurious resorts in the world, it’s also a place where your body and mind truly benefit from the hospitality experience. Wellness and wellbeing are taken to another level by specially created experiences and spaces, and experts within different fields ensure a truly personalized journey. The villas or “Well Living Spaces” are some of the most incredible accommodations in the world, and the food offer is delicious, focus on health, and sustainable. A mind-blowing experience.
FLY DIFFERENT WITH TURKISH AIRLINES
Turkish Airlines is taking Turkish hospitality to higher levels – literally. With their business class offer, the airline ensures that the journey is part of your holiday. What to expect? A highly pleasurable experience, with spacious, comfortable seating (full-flat beds on long-haul flights), outstanding and award-winning food (don’t miss the Turkish meatballs!), a great in-flight entertainment system, and great service with the typical Turkish flair.
The airline has greatly increased its offer and flies to more than 272 destinations today. Most of the flights include a stopover at the beautiful Istanbul airport, and for longer stopovers there’s even a special program for a city visit with free hotel stays. Fly different, fly Turkish!
Discover more about our Turkish Airways Business Class Experience