Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa is a beautiful 5 star boutique hotel located in the Costa Brava region in Spain. It is a property that emphasizes the importance of tranquillity, wellness and authenticity. The stunning gardens and hotel grounds surround an 18th-century Catalan farmhouse and amid the beautiful scenery of the natural and historical region of “Empordà”, guests quickly foster a connection with the essence of the Mediterranean. It’s a place where time becomes an afterthought that is quickly forgotten.
Location & Hotel
Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa is located in the Costa Brava region in Spain. This coastal region of Catalonia is located in the north-eastern part of the country, bordering the Mediterranean Sea from the French border until the Spanish beach resort of Blanes. In the middle of this beautiful region, in the picturesque town “Torrent”, Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa occupies a stunning stretch of land which boasts mesmerising views on the surrounding “Baix Empordà” region. There are no more than 30 houses in the town of Torrent, all clustered around the church of Sant Vicenç. Together with the ancient fortified gateway and the remains of an old castle, these historical buildings ensure that the town preserves its mediaeval charm.
On a hill on the north side of the village, Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa not only enjoys beautiful views of the region, but above all an exceptionally quiet and secluded location. The property is centred around an 18th-century Catalan farmhouse (or Masia), which has been stylishly renovated and converted into an exclusive five-star boutique hotel. Elegance, tranquillity, discretion and exclusivity are key at Mas de Torrent, which is part of the Relais & Chateaux Group. The extraordinary and particularly well-maintained gardens, connected by an array of paths, are a wonderful place to unwind and take in the endless views of Empordà.
Inside the main building and the other buildings, the interior offers a unique mix of authentic, often almost medieval elements, exceptional comfort, valuable antiques contrasted by modern art in tribute to Picasso, and more contemporary, timeless and especially warm colours and decorations. The whole offers a warm, very atmospheric, opulent appearance, where time comes to a standstill.
Rooms & Suites
The main building and a few outbuildings in the garden offer space for 39 rooms and suites, some with their own private swimming pool, all decorated in the warm, minimalistic, pure and timeless design which characterises the property.
Each suite is surrounded by terraces and gardens and a part of them offer wonderful views on the surroundings. Bright and warm colours are enhanced by natural materials, and contrasted by modern bathrooms, warm lighting, elegant decoration and all the necessary technology. Guests can choose from the following categories:
- Classic Double: these rooms inside the old farmhouse measure 25m2, include perfectly preserved unique art pieces and offer modern bathrooms, natural materials and careful lighting.
- Masia Suite: located in the main building, each Masia Suite retains features of the building’s traditional architecture and measures 38m2. These suites offer stunning views of the Empordà region.
- Garden Suite: these suites with private terrace and direct access to the pool measure 40m2 and have a more modern interior. A great option for those seeking privacy or looking to combine connecting rooms.
- Pool Suite: the large pool suites measure 55m2 and come with maximum privacy, combining a bedroom, living room, large wardrobe, bar cabinet, terrace and private terrace with private plunge pool (5m x 2.5m).
- Nature Suite: the unique eco-friendly nature suits measure 55m2 and are built from natural products from the Costa Brava. These standalone cabins are surrounded by lavender fields and enjoy great views of the emblematic town of Pals.
- Residence Suite: the biggest suite at the property boasts two bedrooms, a garden with porch and a heated private pool. The suite measures 145 m2 and even has its own garage. Luminosity and peaceful views of the garden are ensured at this private enclave within the resort.
We stayed at one of the pool suites during our time at Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa. While the pools are not heated and thus only useable on warmer days, the privacy of your own terrace and pool is a big plus. The interior is warm, atmospheric and timeless, connecting the indoor and outdoor spaces in a natural and unobtrusive way. It is a place to enjoy the tranquillity, intimacy and luxury and the best of what the beautiful region has to offer.
Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa’s restaurant is overseen by famous chef Ramón Freixa, who treasures two Michelin stars at his restaurant in Madrid. At restaurant Mas de Torrent, he combines creativity with tradition, focussing on the best produce from the surrounding Costa Brava region. These seasonal ingredients come from both sea, fields and mountains, treated with respect and interpreted by chef Ramón Freixa’s kitchen team. This celebration of the local flavours and aromas results in dishes such as “Grilled peppers with Fonteta cheese and Girona apple”; “Pressed suckling lamb with tender pistachios and potato millefeuille”, or “Razor gratin with fine herbs”.
Besides the à la carte menu, there’s an interesting lunch menu available on weekdays. For € 43, this menu includes a starter, main dish and dessert. The Tasting Menu offers the best experience of Ramón Freixa’s cuisine, with a starter, 2 main dishes, a selection of artisan cheeses and a dessert, for only € 70 per person. From its large floor-to-ceiling windows, the dining rooms of the restaurant offers excellent views of the Empordà region. The interior is warm and traditional, with brown and beige colours, atmospheric lighting and linen tablecloths. Guests can dine indoor or on the outdoor terrace, overlooking the countryside and aromatic garden.
The restaurant’s neighbouring open wine cabinet and tasting room celebrates the area’s long tradition of wine production. The extensive wine list features over 200 references, including a special selection of wines from the Empordà region. Besides the great wine selection, Manel Vehí, one of Spain’s most renowned mixology experts, created a unique cocktail menu for Mas de Torrent. The cocktails are a perfect start for your meal at Restaurant Mas de Torrent, or just to enjoy by the pool on warmer days.
Next to the pool, there’s a second restaurant where a delicious and healthy-oriented breakfast is served. In the summer, the restaurants also serves salads, barbecues and other dishes for lunch.
Hence the name of the hotel, wellness is an important part of the Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa experience. Located inside a separate building, offering more than 600 m2, the “MasSpa” is the place where guests can focus on mind and body. The MasSpa offers an indoor heated pool, four treatment rooms, a small dry sauna, a small hammam, a water circuit, and spaces reserved for yoga, meditation or pilates. Experienced therapists perform a wide range of massages and treatments, with products from the exclusive and sustainable Natura Bissé and Comfort Zone brands.
Other assets at Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa include:
- Outdoor pool: measuring over 14-metre long, the outdoor pool is the place to be on warmer days and enjoys beautiful views of the Empordà countryside.
- Fitness: the fitness area is located on the second floor of de MasSpa building and offers state-of-the-art Technogym equipment.
- Padel & Tennis: the padel and tennis courts can be enjoyed alone, or with the assistance of personal trainers
- Costa brava visits to the nearby medieval villages, art galleries and the stunning coastline with its hidden coves can be booked at the hotel as well. There’s even a fully privatized, luxury boat tour on offer, one of the most exclusive experiences for those who love to spend time on the water.
Mas de Torrent is an iconic property in the Empordà region of Costa Brava in Spain. It enjoys a stunning location, amid lush gardens, wonderful countryside and medieval villages. The authentic “Masia” country house, the warm and luxurious rooms & suites and the great restaurant are the other reasons why this property should be on your to-visit-list.