Okonjima Lodge is a family-run property located at the foot of the Omboroko Mountains in Namibia. It enjoys a privileged location, only a 2.5 hour drive from Namibia’s capital Windhoek and halfway between Windhoek and Etosha National Park. The reserve also has a private airstrip for those arriving by plane.
The lodge is located in the Okonjima Nature Reserve, right in the center and the heart of Namibia. This nature reserve spans over 20,000ha nature and is surrounded by the sandstone Omboroko Mountains. It is famous for its wildlife sightings and its picturesque landscapes surrounding the lodge.
Rooms And Suites
Okonjima lodge offers several accommodation options, from well-appointed private campsites to luxurious private lodges.
- The Omboroko campsite features 4 spacious sites with a shared swimming pool at the foot of the Ombokoro Mountains and are located in the 2000ha non-rehabilitation area.
- The plains camp has 10 spacious View Rooms, 14 spacious Standard Rooms and 6 affordable Garden Rooms. It is family-friendly and wheelchair accessible.
- The Luxury Bush Camp consists of eight luxurious, thatched, safari-chic chalets with earthy tones and African design elements. Each of the private chalets are between 80-100 metres away from one other. The camp also boasts “The junior suite”, a large 120m2 room with two queen-size beds and an en-suite lounge.
- The Private Bush Suite is located on the edge of a natural waterhole and has two separate, luxury, en-suite bedrooms under a double-volume thatched roof. It can easily accommodate a family or group of four.
- The Okonjima African Villa is located inside the nature reserve, in a secluded wilderness area, 10km from the Plains Camp. This safari-chic, thatched villa has two en-suite, luxury bedrooms in the main house and two separate private, luxury mini suites, which together can accommodate up to eight adults and four children.
During our visit, we stayed in one of the Luxury Bush Camp Chalets. The chalets’ large glass panels and canvas windows can be completely opened and offer mesmerising views of the savannah. The chalet boasts an open-air sala with a semi-detached lounge area with a minibar. It is a great place to relax and take in the panoramic views of the natural surroundings. With 105 square meters, there is plenty of space as well. The interior is cosy and the dark, earthy tones seamlessly connect with nature outside.
Lodge Assets And Experiences
The Okonjima Nature Reserve famous for frequent cheetah and leopard sightings on its safaris, as well as The AfriCat Foundation. A two-day stay at the property offers the best chance to view wild leopard in Namibia, as well as those collared for research purposes, in their natural habitats.
Activities that are a must when visiting Okonjima Lodge are the Nature Game-Drive, looking for leopard, the Off-The-Beaten-Track walk & drive discovery tour to experience a day in the life of a Bushman, and, of course, a trip to the AfriCat Carnivore Care and Information Centre. Guests can also take part in the nocturnal game drive, bird viewing activities, and other trips. Once back in the camp, a dip in the pool is welcome refreshment from the blistering African heat.
Okonjima is also home to the renowned AfriCat Foundation, which focuses on ensuring a sustainable future for Namibia’s large carnivores. The protected Okonjima Nature Reserve provides shelter to cheetahs and leopards and gives them and other carnivores the opportunity to perfect their hunting skills and re-acclimatise during the rehabilitation process. This offers them a chance to return into the wild afterwards. The AfriCat Foundation is a unique project and definitely one of the main reasons to visit this beautiful property.
Food at Okonjima Lodge will be a highlight of your stay as well. From the warm cakes and pastries to grilled meats for dinner, everything is prepared with care and respect for the ingredients. Breakfast, brunch, lunch, sundowners and dinner: you will definitely not get hungry at Okonjima Lodge! The local wine selection is a great plus, too.
It is a good idea to opt for the all-inclusive package, which includes park entry and environmental education fees, accommodation, three daily meals, all activities, coffee/tea and fruit available throughout the day, and drinks (excluding premier and imported alcoholic brands).
Okonjima Nature Reserve is a spectacular piece of nature on its own. Combined with the beautiful and luxurious chalets of the Okonjima Bush Camp, this place offers a unique way to experience Namibia’s beauty and wilderness. The reserve offers some amazing wildlife sighting possibilities and because of the AfriCat Foundation, the chances of spotting cheetahs and leopards are very high. Add the great food and the unique atmosphere on the property, and you know you are in for an unforgettable encounter with some of Africa’s most beautiful assets.
Travel In Style With Qatar Airways
Flying to Namibia? Travel in style with our travel partner Qatar Airways. Qatar Airways offers easy, reliable, modern and luxurious flights from and to almost all main cities in the world. Fares start from as low as € 450 for a round trip from Brussels to Windhoek in Economy Class or € 2.295 in Business class.
If you are lucky, you might even experience the QSuite, the new “business-class suite experience” which offers total privacy and even a double-bed layout.
Discover more about our Qatar Airlines Business Class Experience
Written by Sven
Our videos about this hotel
Okonjima Bush Camp
Okonjima Game Reserve
200 square kilometres amongst Omboroko Mountains
Coordinates: S 20º 51’ 59” E 16º 38’ 22”